Comfort Food Remade: Spaghetti

1:46 PM

With cold weather coming, your belly may be requesting some warm, cozy, comfort foods. One of my favorites has always been spaghetti, both for its flavor and its ease. But after I eat it, I'm always left feeling like there is a brick in my gut. So if you love pasta, but you hate the way it makes you feel, or the way it makes you gain weight, here is my favorite alternative I've found. It takes longer than spaghetti, so it's a plan-ahead meal, but the hands on time is very short. I usually make it on the weekend and eat up the leftovers throughout the week, for lunch.



BAKED PIZZA SPAGHETTI SQUASH CASSEROLE
Adapted from this recipe from PaleOMG

Ingredients:

Medium spaghetti squash
1 lb. sausage
1/2 onion, diced
1 can tomato sauce
1 tsp. oregano
3 eggs, whisked
Toppings of your choice

Instructions:

Begin by baking your spaghetti squash. Poke holes in it to vent, then place in a preheated oven and cook for an hour at 375 degrees. Remove from oven and allow to cool, then cut in half, scoop out the seeds, and with a fork, separate the squash strands into a 9x13" dish.

Place a large pan on the stove, over medium heat. Add sausage and onion, breaking up the sausage and cooking until no longer pink, and onions are translucent. Add tomato sauce and oregano to pan and stir to combine. Add sausage mixture to 9x13" dish.

Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl, then add to dish. Mix all ingredients together until combined, then add your choice of toppings (my favorites are mushrooms and red peppers).

Place in the oven to bake for one hour, or until eggs are set. Remove and cool before serving.


What is your favorite comfort food? Tell me in the comments below and I will feature a healthier version of it in a future post!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts